Monday, April 12, 2010

Top Ten Strep Throat Lessons

Today I was told that more than likely I have Strep throat - strain A. The other possibility is a horrible virus that has given me a killer sore throat. One of these two is the culprit, and I'm not kidding when I say my throat literally feels like it's on fire! It hurts to swallow. It hurts to move my neck. It's excruciatingly painful to talk. However, God's used this to teach me a few life lessons today:

1.) The son that butts head with me the most, Franklin, is unbelievably compassionate. Today he has made me hot tea, a smoothie, and brought me water while I've been curled up on the couch. I've missed out on seeing this side of him because I tend to focus on our disagreements.

2.) My quiet son, Weston, was immediately caring for me by bringing me hot soup to the bedside for dinner. I realized he's so steady and willing. Sometimes, here too, I focus on the things that are not eternally important, losing sight of his precious heart.

3.) My mom willingly rearranged her day so she could drive Mason to his final rehearsal for DI before the State Tournament this weekend. I want to be a mom like that!

4.) I've found that the boys will come quickly when summoned by a ringing bell or clapping hands. (Why doesn't that work when I'm hollering for them to come home?)

5.) Without my voice, I realize I have not "raised my voice" at all to the boys. For three days! God's shown me what this house would sound like without my rackling voice fussing over things that do not matter!

6.) Amazingly, I found a quiet, but audible, scratchy voice to talk with some neighbors about some in appropriate words that were being tossed around in the backyard. (I think perhaps they thought I lost my hearing and not my voice.) My preference would have been to stay in bed, but I've been asking God to move me out of complacency, and that's how He did it today!

7.) I've found that I enjoy the quiet. It's peaceful, and my time with the Lord has been sweet without the distraction of "what I want to say next" going through my head. I've been able to focus completely on Him.

8.) I realize how much I am procrastinating by typing this blog post, because I have something that I promised to send out to my English class and have not done it. I will. I will. As soon as I finish this post and "ring" the boys inside for showers. Shame on me for doing this first!

9.) Even with a throat that feels like I am swallowing cut glass, I realize that I can still praise my great God for being who He says He is. The Mighty Prince of Peace, The Everlasting Father, The Creator of the Universe, The Great I AM, The Holy Comforter, The Only Sustainer, My Saviour, My Lord, My God who loves little, tiny, me.

10.) There are other ways to proclaim God's goodness besides my voice. Since I have none, I'm using this post to proclaim:
Get you up to a high mountain, O Zion, herald of good news;
Lift up your voice (or blog post) with strength,
O Jerusalem, herald of good news;
Lift it up, fear not;
Say to the cities of Judah,
"Behold your God!"
Isaiah 40:9

No comments: