Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Home of John Sevier

On Friday, November 30th, we enjoyed a day of Tennessee history at the home of John Sevier. It was a wonderful field trip that allowed us to step back in time.

The boys learned about the "tomahawk throw."










They learned about making wool from beginning to end!



The John Sevier Guides separated the boys from the girls. The boys had to learn how to do "a man's work" while the ladies learned about "women's work." The boys insisted that I go with the ladies. They wanted to be alone, so I trusted them to listen and learn!

Rhonda, Kaitlin and I went inside. Guess what the women got to do? We learned to sew a "pocket." It is a large piece of fabric sewn together to hang over an apron. I couldn't believe I was sewing! I don't even sew on buttons at home! Rhonda kept saying she would rather be out chopping firewood. So would I! As we were pricking our fingers with the needles while trying to sew, a Guide stood over our shoulder and said, "To make it authentic, you need to have 21 stitches for every inch!" (Oh, you have got to be kidding!) Now, I can truly appreciate how hard it was to live in this time period!

For this part of the tour, the boys definitely got the better jobs!




They go to learn how to build a good campfire, how to start a fire with char-cloth, and the boys even go to uses a hatchet! Braden included! I think he was the only four-year-old to do it! He was so proud!
















After the boys did the "man's work," and I attempted the "woman's work" we all enjoyed our lunch. It was beef stew that had been cooked over the fire. Perhaps based on the way it looked, it should have been called "gruel," but it actually tasted pretty good! FYI, a 14 year old homeschooled boy made our lunch.















It was great to spend a day in the early 1800's. The simplicity was enticing, but I would have a hard time always doing a "woman's work!"

No comments: