Friday, December 14, 2007

Christmas Past

Yesterday, Jess and Becca helped me begin getting the house ready for Christmas. I started checking off things on my "Christmas To Do List." Of course, the first every year is sending out Christmas cards

I love doing it! The boys are finally old enough to help with all of the stamping, labeling, folding and stuffing of envelopes. I am thankful because we send out 200! I think it is one of the things I LOVE doing at Christmas! It's a way for me to send love and cheer to people who have impacted my life over the years.

I've was in a greeting card store a few years ago. While in the store I found a Christmas Card Address Book. I thought, "This is neat..." So I opened it up. Inside was a traditional address book with a twist. Beside every name there were boxes to "check." You "check" the box when you send a card to Person "A" and you "check" a box if you receive a card from Person "A..." Basically, this address book helps you track if you are receiving cards from the people you send cards to!

What?!?

Let me tell you all that I have never tracked Christmas Cards. To me, that seems ridiculous. The "check" boxes tell you if everything is being reciprocated! Christmas cards, sent as reciprocation! Come on, people! This book showed exactly what can happen to the view of Christmas if you allow it.

"Give to them, and they will give to me." "I would bake for this neighbor, but last year they did nothing for me..." "I need to get him something as nice as what he gave me..." Etc...

Sorry friends, I am on a soapbox!

All this to say, I love sending cards! And, when we read a Christmas note or see a Christmas picture, it brings a smile to us as well! I love being able to tell friends at least once a year that I LOVE THEM! That, THEY ARE SPECIAL! That, I DO REMINISCE ABOUT OUR FUN TIMES TOGETHER!

As I've written this post, I wanted to include a few pictures from Christmas Past. Every Christmas is different, but each year the cause for celebration is the same...Our Savior Jesus.

Here are a few pictures from Christmas in the past that MAKE ME SMILE!


Karissa - my precious friend and "Big Sis" to the boys! You are so dear to my heart! I love you! Remember helping decorate the tree, having Christmas cooking lessons - ha!, your scrapbook calendar I made, sitting on the couch by the fire in the den and "chatting!" You made Christmas complete! I loved having you with us! I still hold you in my heart and cherish the memories we have shared! How wonderful you are, sweet friend!
Karissa with her honey, Travis! Yep, they are still together!


The Scoberceas - always hospitable and loving. They have taught me so much about love and perseverance amidst difficult trials and suffering. Their hearts are completely wrapped in the Love of Christ!Mathiang! We get to spend Christmas with you every year! I love it when you sing your Sudanese songs for us in Dinka. I love it when you do your ceremonial dance, and when you play your instruments for us. I loved having Panchol join us last year, and we greatly anticipate your arrival to share Christmas with us again this year! I love that you are part of our family! We love you!


The annual "Men of the Family" Christmas Carol - They always sing "We Three Kings." Hilarious!
Laura - I miss your words of assurance and encouragement! I miss your soft "read to the children" voice! Your friendship has always blessed my life. I know you are hurting now, and I pray you feel safe in the "shadow of His wings." I pray you are experiencing the "peace that passes all understanding!" We are still praying for you!
Amy - this picture says it all! I love the LAUGHTER! I cherish the tears we have shared! My memories with you go back so far, and I anticipate they will continue until we are rocking on a front porch with our teeth looking like the ones you are wearing! You will always be "My Sheltering Tree!" You are precious to me! I love you, friend! I sm sending you LOTS of hugs for Christmas and everyday surrounding it! I know there will be an emptiness and a void. I'm feeling it too. Our GREAT GOD is with us and surrounding us with His unfailing LOVE!The Girl's Night Out Gang! The joy, laughter, and embarrassment will always bring a smile to my face! I am thankful for you all! I love getting your Christmas Cards. (No expectation!!! I am just telling you I love getting them!!!) I have your Christmas pictures plastered down the side of my fridge! Thanks for thinking of me!
A-A-R - Now it's just...A-R on earth. It's God's Plan, and I rest in that assurance. The memories of our threesome will always make me shake my head and think, "I can't believe we did the things we did...but, oh, I am so GLAD WE DID!" Amy, I'm glad it is still A-a-R. Ansley will always be a part of what we share, and we will have a PARTY in heaven when we are all together again! The two of us must carry on the craziness! We still have to do some forking, some house decorating, some diving, some picture hanging! Oh wait, we just did that. Actually, it was usually you and I doing the pranks - Ansley was always the one that we pulled the pranks on!! I would feel bad now, but I know she loved it. I suppose we will have to find another target...What would you think about Kelsey?? Perfect! When we are A-A-R again, Do you think God will allow cartwheels at the wedding feast? Do you think God will allow everyone to wear orange for Tennessee when I have my Homecoming!? If you and Ansley are both in heaven before me, I'm sure everyone I have ever known will be in ORANGE! (I am totally kidding!)Seeing this picture doesn't make me smile yet, because this will be my first Christmas without my dear friend. Actually, if I allow my focus to change, (process occurring right now) this picture does make me smile because it reminds me of the memories we had, the laughs we shared, the fun times, and the silly times! It's good to remember even if it still hurts.
Thanks for walking down memory lane with me...
Thanks in advance for the Christmas cards that I know you are sending me. I'll be checking your box!! NOT!!


2 comments:

Under the Raisner Roof... said...

Yes, it is 3:24 am. This is what happens when you eat brownies and MILK before bedtime. Especially if you are lactose intolerant. Now I have tears to go along with the "rears" (ha ha). What a beautiful post. I miss you terribly, but I know you are praying for me and thinking of me. That helps. Love, Amy

Anonymous said...

I love that you make sure to express your love for those you care about. It's so important! Living in the present while cherishing past memories...priceless!