Monday, November 29, 2010

Will You Follow?

I surrendered. The button's added. On the right. You know the one I'm talking about. Yep, the FOLLOW THIS BLOG button.

To be honest, I felt like I needed to write a disclaimer for adding it. You see, when I read blogs with hundreds of followers, I'm intimidated. Then I begin to think, "Wow! This person must be something special to have so many people reading."

These thoughts are what led to this post.

The real reason I added the famous FOLLOW THIS BLOG button is because I am a technically challenged forty-year-old mom who can not figure out how to "follow" a blog I want to read unless my 10 year old isn't here to help me. The button makes it easier for people like me to read encouragement from others and keep up with family and friends. (I couldn't figure it out without a button. That's the honest truth.)

Click it, or don't. 2 blog followers, or 2 million, it doesn't matter. I'm still the woman God created. One humbly making mistakes and accepting God's grace to redeem my errors. I'm simple. Ordinary. Nothing special outside of God's touch on my life. He is the Only One I desire for people to see! Less of me, more of YOU, Lord!

My identity will not ever be defined by the number of followers on this blog, the number of comments on a post or FB. Sometimes, our enemy entices others into believing our lives should be defined by numbers. Bigger is better. Not always. Especially if pride sneaks in or perhaps envy of others with "more followers," "more friends," "more comments..." I'm not falling for it. Let me live it out, minister in every opportunity that passes my way, and share what I can...if the Lord leads me to do so.

The desire of my heart is not that you FOLLOW THIS BLOG, or any for that matter, but that you FOLLOW JESUS! I wonder how many people would click that one, don't you?

It may sound silly, but when I see the FOLLOW THIS BLOG button, it's become a simple reminder. The simple question pops in my head, "Who am I following? What am I following?"

Who are you following?

Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.
Matthew 9:9

Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
Matthew 10:38

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.
Matthew 16:34

Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
Matthew 19:21

“Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.”
Mark 1:17

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
John 8:12

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.
John 10:27

Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.
John 12:26

Yes, Jesus, I'll follow. Where you lead, I'll go. What you say, I'll do. What you ask, I'll surrender. I. Will. Follow.

I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus

No Turning back, No Turning back

The cross before me
The world behind me

The cross before me
The world behind me

No Turning back, No Turning back
No Turning back, No Turning back
No Turning back, No Turning back

Though none go with me
Still I will follow

Though none go with me
Still I will follow

No Turning back, No Turning back
No Turning back, No Turning back
No Turning back, No Turning back

*I Have Decided to Follow Jesus, lyrics

No comments: