Friday, September 24, 2010

Profile of the Lukewarm

Finally, I've started the book I've been wanting to read for a while, Crazy Love by Francis Chan.  This morning my fingers turned to Chapter 4:  Profile of the Lukewarm.

This quote headlined the beginning of this challenging chapter:

It is not scientific doubt, not atheism, not pantheism, not agnosticism, that in our day and in this land is likely to quench the light of the gospel.   It is a proud, sensuous, selfish, luxurious, church-going, hollow-hearted prosperity.  
- Frederic D. Huntington

I see this life-style all around me.  I fall into it.  Sometimes my love for Christ is covered up by desires for this world.  But, guess what?  This quote was written in 1890! 

The temptations we face today are the same as followers in the past.  Choices have not changed.  Sin is the same.  What exactly am I holding on to?  Security...  Control...  Comfort...  These are the questions I'm pondering.  Am I really giving my life away? 

Francis Chan writes, "LUKEWARM PEOPLE are continually concerned with playing it safe; they are slaves to the god of control.  This focus on safe living keeps them from sacrificing and risking for God."

"LUKEWARM PEOPLE do not live by faith; their lives are structures so they never have to.  They don't have to trust God if something unexpected happens - they have their savings account.  They don't need God to help them - they have their retirement plans in place.  They don't genuinely seek out what life God would have them live - they have life figured and mapped out.  They don't depend on God on a daily basis - their refrigerators are full and, for the most part, they are in good health.  The truth is, their lives wouldn't look much different if they suddenly stopped believing in God."

Challenging words, aren't they?  Words I'm pondering.  Not because I feel guilty, but because more than anything else, I WANT MORE OF GOD!  No more complacency or self-contentment.  No more satisfaction with lukewarm living.  My desire is to be a flame burning unquenchably for Christ!  He alone is my All in All!  Please help me, Lord.  

Will you step back from your own life to observe it objectively too?  Are you pleased with living in lukewarm devotion?  Is God beckoning you to step away from safety toward sacrifice?  From control to complete captivation with Christ?  From halfhearted commitment to the pursuit of a holy passion?

God relentlessly pursues us.  His love for us is unfathomable.  He has given us everything through Jesus to have an abundant life with him now.  Do we love Him with the same affection?  Are our hearts surrendered to Him alone?  Are we loving him with a crazy love?

"Woe to you who are complacent in Zion, and to you who feel secure on Mount Samaria, you notable men of the foremost nation."  Amos 6:1

Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates

1 comment:

The McBs said...

That book will indeed "ruin" a person for good...