Thursday, February 10, 2011

Why I LOVE Thursdays

Every Thursday, I am privileged to perform a job I absolutely love! This year I am teaching six classes at our homeschool co-op. Our co-op is very large with about 350+ students attending each Thursday. There is a variety of classes to choose from, and every teacher is very passionate about what they instruct.
One of my passions is English. I enjoy writing, and I confess to study grammar. Yes, I am a self-professed grammarian. Weird? Yes. One of the best benefits of teaching is having the opportunity to create the assignments. Such as, forcing students to write personal Valentines for each child in the class! And the teacher! How else will boys write poetry and actually enjoy it?
(I know it's true because yesterday I sat with my own four boys while they wrote simple poems for family and grandparents. Believe it or not, we even had an 8th grade neighbor boy join us in the Valentine-making! Fun!)
English 2 Class, I LOVE all of my Valentines. Thank you!

We're studying the Renaissance in Timeline Travel. Today, my students pretended to be Leonardo DaVinci painting the Mona Lisa. When children are creative, they grow!

God has surrounded me with wonderful students who are studious, creative, and compassionate. This precious boy below, TL, sold cookies in the break room to support our adoption. He came into class and handed me a ziploc bag full of crumpled bills and change. TL is always wearing a smile, and he is always helping others.

Other families also continually bless my life. Below are JR and HR! Their family gave me the beautiful "Overcomer - I will not leave you as orphans" necklace today. I nearly cried. It's beautiful! JR and HR's mother, Amanda, is one of the most loving people I know. This entire family has been extremely supportive and encouraging throughout this entire adoption. How thankful I am for them!

Of course, one of my favorite things about Thursday is ending my day surrounded by my boys! (Yes, Mason is now taller than me! Oh my!) We work together to clean the room, pack supplies, and load the van to head home. Today we made a special pit-stop on the way home for a doughnut! How blessed I am!

Whether my own children, or those birthed to other families. Teaching is a responsibility I take very seriously. It's an honor to be with these students each week.

A pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher.

Luke 6:40


Posted by Picasa

No comments: