Friday, February 11, 2011

Happy Valentines Day Granny

Valentine's Day is a time to celebrate those you love. So, today Franklin and Braden went with me to see Granny. We brought all of the needed supplies for her to make some Valentine cards. Otherwise, I wasn't sure if she would have the opportunity to send cards to her daughters.
We all stamped and colored to our heart's contentment. (I'm so glad I held on to a few stamps from my Stampin' Up days! They were a great gift today.) These simple cards were something Granny could do with some assistance. I helped her fragile hands pat the ink then press onto the paper.
She was very pleased with her finished creation. She was able to tell me how to spell Mom and Joy's names, but it broke my heart to watch her try to write the word "M--o--m." Her mind has forgotten how to form the M's. I watched her battle a fierce fight in her mind to be able to have her hand do what she wanted it to. "Go up - Now down - Up again - Now bring it back down," I instructed. "There. You made an M."

Today, Granny thought I was one of the care-givers in the home. It was okay. I was thankful to be with her for the time we had. Every time she picked up the card we brought for her, she was excited that someone loved her. Two minutes later, she was able to experience the same emotion...and again in another minute. I'm sure tomorrow when she finds the two cards in her room, she will be glad someone loves her, even if she is uncertain who it is.

Granny wanted to go back to bed when I left today. I walked her to her room as she shuffled in her walker. Once there, she sat on the bed and I sat beside her. Cautiously, I asked if I could pray for her before I left. She leaned her entire body into me as I held her and prayed. My emotions were tender because my 90 year old Granny is now so child-like. So much of her independence has been stripped away. Her memories gone. Her life so fragile. Her days so uncomfortably quiet. I found myself wondering, "What is her purpose now?"

I think I'll be wrestling with this question tonight as my head hits the pillow.

I love my Granny. She has been a blessing in my life. I pray she will know God's peace, mercy, and kindness with every day on earth.

Good night, Granny. I love you.

I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. 2 Timothy 1:5


Posted by Picasa

No comments: