Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Shopping for Overcomer

Our friends the O'Learys are preparing for their first trip to Ghana, and they are hoping to see our precious Overcomer while in country.  Today the boys and I took a shopping excursion to find a few "surprises" to send.

The boys chose everything for Overcomer.  They were so excited to get him some "goodies."  We purchased necessities like underwear and a new outfit. 

We also found a bouncy ball to send.  This evening we are working on a photo album to send him.  Our faces will be introduced to him by the O'Learys.  His is already etched in our mind as his adorable smile fills our living room.  I know Kristie will be holding him tight, just as I would.  She is someone with an amazing amount of love to give.  She will be holding her own two children shortly as well!  Praise God!

I did realize a few things while shopping today. 
1.)  There are NO summer clothes anywhere.  We seriously had to go to two stores before I could find an outfit.  If we travel before Spring I'll be hoping for some 2T summer hand-me-downs.  Please!
2.)  I need a refresher course on what 2 year olds play with.  Oh my!  Little legos won't cut it.  Ummm...back to the toys I've given away over the years.
3.)  Seeing tiny baby clothes does strange things to the mind.  Cute booties and soft blankets make me realize I could easily love another one.
4.)  If I had a little girl, she would be in dresses all the time.  The dresses are adorable for little girls!
5.)  I also need a refresher course on potty training.  After purchasing the underwear, I remembered a friend told me Overcomer pooped all over her because the foster home was out of diapers.  Now that I think about it, I think Reid did the potty training because they were all boys.  Oh Honey, we're having another BOY!  Joy for you - one more time!
6.)  Buying Overcomer's outfit made everything seem so REAL!  Yes, it is happening.  He will be in our family soon although he's already in our hearts.   The shorts and shirt were itty-bitty.  So exciting!

One more thing happened today that was too close for comfort.  As we have progressed in the adoption, we've learned more about the state of the orphans in Africa.  Many go without food or are only fed one meal a day.  Many become ill or die because of illnesses that could easily be treated or cured here in America.  Flies are rampant.

Today I was eating a salad for lunch.  After a few bites I spotted something black on a piece of lettuce.  Upon closer inspection, I realized...it...was...a...dead...fly.   (Excuse me while I gag - again.  Ugh!  Remembering this makes my stomach turn.)

Although I was completely disgusted, my first thought was of Overcomer.  He faces this every day.  Children in this poor area of the world would probably eat flies if desperation hit hard enough.  God allowed me to be with Overcomer in his hardship for a moment in time.  It hurts, but this is his life right now.  I'm ready to bring him HOME!  This dead fly made me stop and pray - thanking God for his abundant provision for our family.   He cares so deeply for us!

"For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?"   Matthew 6:25-26


Please pray for the O'Learys as they prepare to travel.  Whoo-Hoo!  We are praying for an immediate bond between their entire family!  Thank you all for your prayers for us as well!

Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates
Posted by Picasa

No comments: