Thursday, April 19, 2007

On Borrowed Time

Have you ever loaned someone something? Something that was dear to you. Truthfully, in loaning out something that belongs to us we certainly hope that the other person will take care of it...especially if it is something dear to us that could not be replaced. We hope that it will be used for it's intended purpose and then returned to us.

Now I would ask, have you ever borrowed something? When I borrow something from a friend, I care for it as if it was not my own. I want to return it as soon as possible. I honestly try to take care of it. However, that does not always happen.

Yesterday, I was placing some books on our bookshelf. I found one that belongs to a friend of ours in High Point. It isn't just an ordinary book, it contains a photo of the author and our friend with a personal inscription in the front. These are irreplaceable...and yet, I have not returned the book. Even though it is going in the mail today, I have been careless with something borrowed.

I have always heard the phrase "living on borrowed time." Last night, I think I began to fully comprehend the meaning.

Last night I went to NEW EVE Bible Study. One of Debbye's main points was for us to "Live with the end in mind."

At the end, I shared some about Ansley. The reality is that none of us are guaranteed to live a long life. Our "end" could come at anytime. With everything that has happened at VA Tech over this past week, what a reminder it should be for us all.

As I reflected on Ansley's "end," something struck me. Ansley did not start living with "the end in mind" when she was diagnosed with cancer. She began living with her "end in mind" when she accepted Christ. Her choices and decisions reflected living a life from the "inside out" to reflect Christ's love to other people.

I was driving home last night about 9:45. It was late for me, and it was dark. Our neighborhood sits off of a busy two-lane road. As I was driving I was thinking about the lesson.

All of a sudden - out of nowhere - a possum jumped out in front of my car! I could see headlights in front of me coming from the other direction, but instinct took over and I swerved my car into their lane! I believe the Lord took the wheel and popped my van back into the correct lane to avoid the accident. It was a very near miss. A split-second moment in my life!

My heart was racing and my first thought was "that could have been My End. This moment could have been my last one here on Earth." What a revelation...what a reminder!

So, this morning I have still continued to contemplate and reflect over the events of last night. I have come to know this:

1.) Reid does not ever want me to "swerve" the vehicle to miss an animal. (Ha-ha - that is my bit of humor in this BLOG - But it is TRUE! He did tell me that last night!)

2.) God gives us each day. He has loaned it to us, because our days belong to him. "The Lord knows the days of the blameless, And their inheritance will be forever." (Psalm 37:18)

3.) We don't get a second opportunity to make the day count so we better be intentional. The wasted minutes and hours of each day won't ever come back. "Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away." (James 4:14)

4.) God desires for us to take care of what He has given us. He wants us to take care this day and live it for Him "not by way of eye-service, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart." (Ephesians 6:6)

5.) God knows that, although my heart's desire is to serve and please Him, I will fail. I will not be a good steward of every day, even as hard as I may try. "When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong, Because the Lord is the One who holds his hand." (Psalm 37:24)

6.) Even though I will fail; God will NEVER give up on me. His grace is evident when I awake in the morning to another day. God has entrusted me with more time on this Earth to reflect Him. "The steps of a man are established by the LORD, And He delights in his way." (Psalm 37:23)

So Lord, I know that this day belongs to you. Thank you for entrusting me with another day her on Earth. May I honor You and glorify You every moment of today. Today is yours, I give you my life lived out for You today.

"For what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Mark 9:37) I give you my life - TODAY!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin,
Your thoughts are so precious this morning. I am so thankful that you missed th opposum last night and we have more time here to encourage each other to live intentionally with the end in mind!
I love you!
Debbye

Unknown said...

Yada, yada, yada - so'd you hit the possum when you swerved back into your lane?

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading through your blogs and looking at all of your pictures. Where do you find the time!?!?! Give our love to everyone. Love, Collins