Friday, March 26, 2010

Yard Sale Sweet Surprises!

James 1:17 says, "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."

God has been gracious and blessed this endeavor with some sweet surprises. Kevin Henderson (Pictured below) worked one summer with me in 1988. We served on Staff for ASP (Appalachia Service Project). We worked together in Harlan, KY to improve the living conditions of the impoverished people in the area.

Kevin came to town to visit his sister and the two of them stayed for several hours to help set up on Saturday. It was an insurmountable task, but with their help, everything was semi-organized before opening this morning. Thank you Kevin and Kathleen! Thank you for giving of yourselves to help bring our child HOME!
Ummm...Kevin, I don't think those will fit!
This afternoon, I turned around to see my aunt, Joy, and my cousin, John, standing in my driveway! They live in middle Tennessee and have not been to our home here in Knoxville. What an encouragement to be so loved! I couldn't believe they stopped to see us on this special day! Thank you! The boys were thrilled you bought some burgers and hot dogs! I think you were their best customers!

The Cat-in-the-Hat (a.k.a. my cousin, John) delivered some hats and Tyler and Sydney modeled them for the Sale!
Kristie and Sydney used the hats to stay warm on this FREEZING DAY!
My uncle, Kenny, made it into this shot! It was great to see them!

More sweet surprises from today were muffins for our breakfast, a dinner from friends, pizza for the workers, more deliveries of items to sell, homemade sausage biscuits by Mom, Rice Krispie treats by Maddie, and AMAZING FRIENDS AND FAMILY WHO WERE WILLING TO WORK TIRELESSLY TODAY! WOW! We are truly blessed!
Mom and Maddie, I was deeply touched by your willingness to help make treats for today! You are a testimony to God's love for us. Thank you!
We had several "God stories" such as selling an expensive jogging stroller to a cross-country coach who had prayed specifically for God to help her find one she could afford. Such as...a couple matching the amount they were spending so each family would receive the same amount. Such as...Braden giving one of his toys to someone to make $.25 for the adoption. Such...as a $20.00 donation from a stranger. Such as...my cousin, Heather, bringing some pillows and selling them to a customer within two minutes. Such as...several people tucking money in my pocket or in the Africa bucket as a donation. Such as...a neighbor bringing over 5 bags of items because they were getting ready to donate them. Such as...turnign around to find several people shopping that just came to support us! Thank you! Such as...God only allowing the rain for a few moments this morning!
This afternoon as we were closing up, a lady pulled up and walked over to me carrying two boxes. I'd never met her, and assumed she was coming to shop. As she walked over, she introduced herself as Ann Little.
"I adopted a child from China last year, and I saw your post on Kids Club. I made these cookies for you to encourage you in your adoption!" Ann explained.
I looked into the box and saw beautiful cookies that had been hand wrapped and tied with a ribbon! Amazing that a stranger would serve others with such an act of love. Thank you, Ann! I'm blessed by your generosity and act of kindness.
Finally, Tory and Audrey came by with handmade goods for us to sell tomorrow. Tears flowed as I looked at the incredible potholders that Audrey had made in a rainbow of colors. The hand knitted hats by Tory made my heart melt. These two precious girls had spent the last two weeks making these gifts for this sale. What an honor to see the young lead us. Thank you!
Yes, every good and perfect gift comes from above. I'm constantly amazed by God's goodness in this journey.
Wondering about the total from today?????? Check in tomorrow, or come shop and perhaps I'll tell you! Yes, there is still A TON OF STUFF LEFT! Open at 7:00 am.

No comments: