Sunday, March 11, 2012

God's Timing is Perfect for Faith-Stretching

 Last fall, I spent a weekend with some precious people.  I attended a retreat about teaching science  because my dear friend, Kim, invited me to attend.  We spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday performing science experiments and dissecting sheep uteri.  (I did not prefer the dissection - at all!)  Throughout the weekend, I became increasingly motivated to "teach science" but the Lord also used my time there for His purposes to teach and grow me.

At night, Kim shared with me from a book I still have yet to read, "One Thousand Gifts."  The writing on the pages were simple reminders of God's perfect gifts he bestows on us everyday.  During our down time between sessions, I spent a lot of time with a young lady named Reilynn.  We met for the first time on this retreat, yet our hearts seemed to beat for the same things.  She and her husband served as missionaries overseas.  Now, they are living in Columbia, SC while he attends seminary.  Her husband heads up the youth ministry at a local church specifically targeted for Korean .  Through the stories Reilynn shared, her husband is truly impacting young people through the gospel of Jesus Christ.  This couple lives in married student housing while raising five children, and they live on humble means.  Their lives are poured out as a living sacrifice to our Lord.  I admire them.  Their lives teach me.

This morning I received an email from Reilynn.  This is what she wrote:

       I don't know if you remember me or not... We met at the science retreat in North Carolina.  I have been following the news on your family and praying for you daily...   I don't know where this email will find you but I just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten about you and your family.  I asked my husband if I could start supporting your family each month...  He asked about what you guys did here in the states as far as reaching the lost and I told him about the homeless work you guys do and he was all for supporting you. He feels that you can't be just a missionary overseas that first you have to be one here and that love for the lost will carry over.  So we are supporting you all now and will continue to pray for you daily.  Its not much but will hopefully get you a bit closer to your goal.  Hopefully one day when we are both done with school we can do more but wherever we are, we want to be involved in what God is doing around the world.

       I told my kids about your family and showed them the picture of the boys and they said that they wished they could meet them and be friends. I told them about you all moving overseas and telling people about Jesus. They were so excited and wanted to pray for you all.

       I think I read on the brochure  about a prayer team mailing list. Can I get on it? ...  I would love to hear about the your needs so I can pray more specifically...

       Maybe one day our families will meet.  Maybe even halfway around the world!  But for sure with the Lord one day.  We are so thankful for all your hard work and going to reach the lost.  You will face trials of many kinds (all the servants of the Lord do) but know that the Lord is on your side so no matter how hard it is He is carrying you through. Prayer is one of the most powerful weapons we have against the enemy so we will be battling the enemy from this side in unity with all the others that are praying out.



I am continually amazed by the people God rises up for His kingdom work in Ghana.  This gift humbles me.  This gift is a testimony to God's provision as this precious couple partners with us.  There is no gift too small - no gift wasted.  God uses it all!  Over the past few weeks, we have seen other families like Reilynn's share from God's provision.  It's been beautiful.  


The timing of Reilynn's e-mail encouraged my heart tremendously!  You see, on Monday Reid wired money to Ghana to secure a house for us to rent.  SIGHT UNSEEN!  We have not even seen pictures, but we are trusting our friend who chose it and we are trusting our Lord!  It is another step of obedience.  For, "We walk by faith, and not by sight."


Each step of this journey has been faith-stretching.  In Ghana, a renter pays a full year's rent up front - no one pays monthly.  Not only does it stretch our faith to send this huge amount of money for a home we have not seen, but we also have committed to a home before we have the full amount needed for monthly support.    We are only lacking 20%.  We are trusting God for the remaining amount to come within the next few months.  We hope to depart after the boys are finished with school.  Only two short months away.


Currently, Reid is making plans to go to Ghana in a few weeks.  He will assess our home for what is needed, set up our banking, investigate schooling options, meet with ministry partners, and he will PRAY.  PRAY.  PRAY.  The Lord must go before us and Reid will be seeking Him to do exactly that.  We seek God's leading for all that we do.  We desire to be His hand, His feet - not our own.


Will you partner with us in prayer?  If we must go under-supported, we choose to go under supported financially, but completely covered in PRAYER SUPPORT.  We need your prayers.  We beg for them.  Please pray for - 
Prayer warriors to interceded for us.
Our family to glorify God wherever we are - at all times.
More families like Reilynn's to partner with us for God's work on the other side of the ocean.


But you will not go out in haste, 
                                    Nor will you go as fugitives;
For the LORD will go before you, 
And the God of Israel will be your rear guard.
Isaiah 52:12

No comments: