Wednesday, March 12, 2008

He Finally Did It! Mathiang's An American!

Here we are. Outside of the Homeland Security Building in Charlotte, NC. This building also serves as the Immigration Services Building. We were so excited to see a dream come true for Mathiang. He would be sworn in as an American citizen. The date was March 5, 2008! Nearly seven years after he set foot on American soil in May of 2001. What an accomplishment!

Before I go on with the story - I need to show you our outfits! Reid worked so hard and made all of us matching t-shirts to wear. They said, "I'm proud of my son, Mathiang Gutnyin, America's Newest Citizen." The boy's shirts said they were proud of their brother, and Mom's said she was proud of her grandson. It was too cute! Yes, I even wore my American flag, earrings, necklace, and bracelet! (Lisa Griffin would be proud of my patriotism!)



As we walked through the doors, the security guards got a kick out of our red-white-and-blue outfits! However, they actually made me empty my purse b/c Kaitlin had sent an Easter Egg to Mathiang painted red-white-and-blue. The guard didn't know what I would be carrying in my purse that was round. Rather embarrassed, I showed him the egg, and then he let me through. Too funny! The officers were excited that we were so enthusiastic! I'm not sure anyone had come through the doors quite like we did!


After we pass through the security, we get to enter "the room." "The room" where Mathiang will be sworn in. "The room" that is very quiet and somber. "The room" that is full of people waiting silently for the ceremony to begin. "The room" where everyone is showing reverence and respect in the extremely quiet atmosphere.


Now, come on people! Let's get a little excited!! I haven't seen Mathiang - my Sudanese son - and I am VERY PROUD of what is about to happen! We enter in our matching outfits, waving our American flags, and when I see Mathiang...Well, I just scream, actually squeal might be a better word. Most of you have heard me do this, so I don't need to paint a picture of how LOUD I was. "MMMMMMMAAAAATTTTHHHIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG! OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH! I'M SOOOOOOOOOO PROUD OF YYYYYYOOOOOUUUU!!!!!" Squeal, squeal, scream, scream - perhaps even a YeeHaw and HooRay!


I might say I embarrassed myself, but, now really - does that ever happen!?! I believe I embarrassed the boys and my mother, but at least I didn't feel embarrassed!


Mathiang was thrilled to see us. He said, "To see you come into the building. Ah, Mom, it was wonderful!" Oh, the tears were brimming, but I held them back for a bit. I just squeezed Mathiang and told him how proud I was to see this dream come true for him. He showed off his official document of citizenship and grinned from ear to ear! It was precious!


At this point, I did ask him if our shirts and stuff embarrassed him. He responded, "Oh no, Mom. It is wonderful. I like it!" So sweet!


I finally calmed down and wandered over to the "friends and family" side of "the room." I sat down next to four handsome Americans. I just happened to take some pictures of them. Here they are...




Today, including Mathiang, there were 39 people from 22 different countries being sworn in as citizens of the United States. It was amazing to see people from around the world freely choose to call our country home. Additionally, many of the people choosing citizenship are already serving in our military and defending this great country.

As they raise their left hand, here is "The oath of citizenship in the United States of America: I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

After the oath, everyone said the Pledge of Allegiance, and the ceremony ended with a slide show showing the history of immigrants coming to the USA. The slide show ran to the song, "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood. My body was covered in chills!

Once everything was officially declared, and the ceremony ended, everyone was waiting to give hugs! The boys were anxious to congratulate Mathiang! In these pictures, Mathiang's smile is bursting off his face! It was a blessing to see him so excited and joyful over this special day!



After hugs, we all posed for pictures with "America's Newest Citizen - Mathiang Gutnyin!" (Yes, we tried to treat him as a celebrity!) We took some shot in front of the American flag. Honestly, I think as I witnessed this ceremony and felt the swelling pride for Mathiang's accomplishment, I truly was PROUD to be an American. I feel blessed by God to live in this beautiful land. I pray I will not take it for granted.


On a side note, after talking with Mathiang, I learned that he is the FOURTH Lost Boy from the High Point / Greensboro group to obtain his citizenship! WHOA! There were sixty Sudanese Lost Boys that came over in 2001. Mathiang's cousin, Zechariah, was sworn in one week before him.

This is an incredible accomplishment - we are so proud of you Mathiang!

Once again, please welcome, Mathiang Gutnyin, America's Newest Citizen!

Along with celebrating this astounding day with you, our overriding joy is the fact that we are united in the knowledge that "Our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ!" (Phil. 3:20)

We love you and we are so proud!

No comments: