Saturday, June 23, 2012

Faith Growth

This morning I received the following e-mail from a young lady in Knoxville.  I had tears streaming down my face as I read it -

Hello! This is Molly Armstrong's big sister Chloe. I had heard you all were going to Ghana, and I've been praying for your family ever since. My Granny gave me one of your family's postcards with the blog address on it, and for a few weeks I meant to but it always slipped my mind. Well, the other night I was at my Granny and Poppop's house (Billy&Myrna King), and my Granny was telling me stories from your blog and when I got home I decided to read some stories for myself. I have to say I was moved inside. I've been doing some Knoxville mission trips with my church (ChurchStreet UMC) for a few years, and I've really enjoyed them. Every year, however, the high schoolers in youth get the opportunity to travel to Eleuthera, Bahamas, and build homes. At first, I decided since it was only my freshman year I shouldn't go because it costs a lot and I would just be getting back from a cheer competition in Disney. But about a month before the trip, my dad informed me that someone going on the trip with scholarship dropped out and I had been offered the scholarship. At first, I wanted to go, but then I realized how much bigger it would be than the trips I'm used to. I ended up deciding not to go because I would be drowning in homework when I got back from Disney anyway, and would need spring break, when the trip was, to catch up. When I did get back from Disney, I was right about the homework thing. But when the day came I knew my youth group was heading out, I began to regret my decision. I've been wondering if I made the right choice since then. When I was reading some of the blogs about your family leaving home, I felt strength growing in my heart. I recognized God in my life more, and now I am determined to go on the mission trip next spring. Even though it will only be a week, I now know that God will be there by reading your blog. I also know he has provided me with out of country experience by watching over our church your choir on our Canada choir tour this summer, and he has blessed me with my best friends who I know will be right there with me. Overall, I wanted to express how your blog has empowered and inspired me to reach out further. I hope that by continuing reading it, I will be able to grow in my own faith.

Still praying for y'all!

Thanks,
Chloe Beth Armstrong


WOW!  This young woman is sensing God's Spirit to lead her as a witness to the nations.  She longs to step out of her comfort zone to be the "hands and feet of Jesus."  I praise God for what HE is doing in her heart.


Over the years, I've recognized that I am only able to write when the Lord prompts me.  As HE is teaching me something new, I am able to share it through the written word.   Whenever I've tried to write something on my own, the words come out jumbled and from my head - not my heart.  As I read Chloe's words, I recognize, it is GOD speaking to her - not us.  We simply long to share how the Lord is growing us.  We have such a long way to go in our faith journey.


This is a 15 year old girl who now desires to step out of her own "comfort zone" to experience more of God in the world.  I challenge you to see what He may be asking of you.  Is the Lord leading you to take a leap of faith in some way but you are holding back because of fear, uncertainty, anxiety, or homework?  Isn't HE bigger than all these things?  


I wish everyone in America would allow themselves to travel outside of the USA into a third world country.  The same God who lives in America reigns in Africa too!  America is blessed with the wealth to impact other parts of the world.  Once someone experiences another part of the world, their heart is enlarged to help.  Please know, we would love to serve with you here in Ghana.  Other missionaries would love to have you step alongside them in other parts of the world as well.  Ministries in your own community need your help to share the love of Jesus.  There is much work to do.


So, what's God calling you to do?  How does He want to grow your faith?  


"And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation."
Mark 16:15










No comments: