Thursday, June 7, 2012

Are You Excited?

Guest Blogger: Mason Beebe   Age: 15

     Lately, people have been asking me if I am ready or if I am excited about going to Ghana. While yes, I am excited and ready to make this move, no one can quite understand the emotions I am feeling right now. If you have been reading this blog, you have probably read about the mission training we went through in Colorado Springs last December. At this training they talked about a "pair of ducks" (meaning a paradox). One duck was the happy duck, and the other was the sad duck, but they existed together in the same environment. While it seemed silly at the time this was a great way to express the way I am feeling. It seems like I always have two opposite emotions about one reality.
     This has made life hard for me. I want to enjoy the precious time I have left here, but I don't feel like I can really enjoy knowing that my time left is very short. This is the hard part about changing cultures. When my parents first brought up the idea of moving to Ghana, I was very excited. That had been my dream for a long time, but I had no idea the hardships that came with it. It is very hard saying goodbye to all the people you know and love, but what makes it even harder is that there is basically no one close to our family who understands the emotions and can wrestle through them with us. Nobody quite understands all of the work that has to be done in order to move a family of seven across the ocean. If you are reading this and are feeling guilty, please don't because it is not your fault and you haven't done anything wrong. This is just me expressing my "pair of ducks."
     During this time of difficulty, I have found that it is best to look forward to what I will be able to experience in Ghana - what I would not get to experience in America. I will get to play with and love on God's children who have no earthly parents. I will get to experience another culture. I will get to see men and women saved who had never heard of the name of Jesus. I will get to participate in African worship. I will get to meet my brothers and sisters that I have never met before. I have so much to look forward to. So why is it so hard? Truthfully, I don't know. Obviously we are leaving many friends and loved ones behind, but we will get to see them again. Right now, we are not planning on staying in Ghana for the rest of our lives, but it is still hard to let go of relationships for even that short of a time.
      To finish this up, I would like to thank everyone who has encouraged us and prayed for the Beebe family. You have no idea what it means to me and my whole family. Little words of encouragement can make my whole day better. Thank you so much. We love you and will miss all of you.

    "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life" (Psalm 143:8)
   

No comments: