Thursday, July 18, 2013

Franklin's 15th Birthday

Guest Blogger:  Franklin Beebe, age 15
Photo Selector, Mom (Franklin would never choose this many pictures of himself!)
1 - 5.  Fifteen Today!


My second birthday in Ghana was my fifteenth birthday. It was very different, but also very memorable. Compared to most of my other birthdays, this one was set apart. I am glad that I am blessed with such an awesome family that I could spend it with.  It would not have been the same without them.  My cousin, Zach, was with me as well so his presence made the day extra special.
The sludge we walk over to deliver food in Chorkor.
The community is built upon trash heaps like this.

On my birthday, I was able to minister to three different families in Chorkor. While we were in Chorkor delivering food to impoverished families who desperately needed it, I thought to myself, I wonder how many other people my age have the beautiful opportunity share the passionate love of Christ with those who need it most, on their birthday. God blessed me so much that day! Sharing the love of Jesus with the poor in spirit on my birthday was the best birthday present that I have ever received.

Zach and I with Grandma Agnes.  She greeted us with a smile which was very uncommon for her.  Her smile was a reflection that she is feeling God's love when we come. 

Holding Atsu!

Zach and I holding Atsu and Etse.


Mary and Esther singing "Happy Birthday" to me with all four Ghanaian verses!


My day ended at GMI orphanage where I was "ponded" by the kids.  In Ghana, people drench you with water as a birthday tradition.  Abu wanted a big, wet hug!

Cousin time with Zach!

Having some fun with Kofi.



Sometimes, I wish that I could live in the U.S.A instead of here in Ghana. Most of my friends, and all of my family live there, but God has put us here for His purposes. I don’t always like that we live here, it’s really hard sometimes, but on a day like my birthday I am reminded that we are blessed to be here. Not just blessed to live outside of our homeland and experience new things everyday, but also blessed by Him  to share His love to the brokenhearted and depressed. I was rewarded the privilege of doing this on my birthday.

In a weird way, my birthday reminded me of a Hobbit’s birthday. We gave other families food. On my birthday, instead of receiving gifts, I was able to give gifts. We gave food, but more importantly, we gave the gift of Gods love for his sons and daughters. My birthday in Chorkor was very enjoyable, and I will never forget that God has blessed us so much to serve here in Ghana!


P.S.  Some of my birthdays are also shared on this blog.  
14th Birthday - Ghana Style - my first birthday in Ghana My Ninth Birthday - at home in Knoxville

No comments: