Sunday, July 28, 2013

One Month




Guest Blogger"  Miriah Cox, age 21 - Feeding the Orphans Volunteer

In February, God made it very clear that he had a 
different path for my life than I could have ever imagined. Through praying for direction, God provided me with direct scripture for the next chapter of my life (Jeremiah 13:15-17, Psalm 116, Psalm 119: 9-16, Isaiah 26:3-4, and Luke 22:41-44). After God completely broke me down, He gave me one last direct command: Go and make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:19). How more direct could He be with me? I am a planner, so that is what I began to do: plan a trip to Ghana, but what my trip held for me I could have never planned.

One month away from my family. One month giving others everything I have to give. One month seeing hurt first hand. One month obeying God’s command and living out His plan for my life. One month of the next chapter of my life. One month of heartache. One month of tears. One month of hardships. One month of blessings. One month of new friendships. One month with family. One month of beautiful, messy pieces fitting perfectly into my puzzle, my life.  
When I arrived in Ghana, my first home became Great Mission International. GMI is an orphanage that is home to around 50 people (volunteers, orphans, and house leadership). The first few days were a complete struggle. I didn’t know what to do or how to act, so I poured myself into the people around me. Through my pouring out, I was filled up. 

Another home became City of Refuge, CORM. City of Refuge is a small community that rescues child slaves from the fishing community and provides them with a home, a loving family, and an education. Faith Roots International is a school located at CORM’s campus that provides an education to the children who are rescued along with children from the community. 

I will be finishing my college degree in May 2013. I will graduate with an Elementary Education degree. During my time at CORM, something new clicked in my heart. God provided a path for my future. Through God’s direction, I feel called to CORM. I feel my call to ministry has truly began through this ‘one month’.

Through this month and loving on the kids, I found myself, along with so much more. I found a new meaning to ‘child-like’ faith. I found friendships that will last a lifetime. I found love and bonds with the kids. I found memories that I will always carry with me. I truly found beauty in the broken. I found people with nothing giving so much. I found peace. I found community. I found a new home. Though I found so much, I lost too. I lost a piece of my heart to the kids, to the other volunteers, and to the leadership at both homes. I lost a piece of my heart to Ghana. 

Though goodbyes are always hard, I know this is not truly goodbye. This is see you later. My ‘for such a time as this’ is ending, but truly just beginning. 








"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."
 -Philippians 4: 11-13

No comments: