Sunday, June 6, 2010

Father Through Adoption

As Father's Day draws near, I've been thinking about my own Daddy.  My life has been blessed with an amazing father, teacher, coach, and friend.  My Daddy.

Thoughts have also turned to my heavenly Father who adopted me into his family.  Though unworthy, he found me precious and made me His own!  

As we proceed toward adoption, my hearts begin to wonder about being an adoptive parent.  Questions arise about the perception of love from the adopted child.  Will our love be received as freely as we offer it?  Will our child feel secure and confident in our love?  Will our fifth child understand the love of God through our love for him?

I've just started reading a book by Dr. Asa Andrew.  As I was pondering the above questions, my eyes found his dedication page for the book.  Reading his words lifted my heart.  This is what he wrote:

"I read this dedication to my dad the last week of his life.  He couldn't talk anymore because he had an oxygen mask over his face.  But as I read this to him he looked at me, smiled, and slightly squeezed my hand.  I knew what he was trying to say.  He was one of the greatest men I ever knew.

This is what I wrote:

This book is dedicated to my father.  He and my mother adopted me as an orphan, and gave me a home.  He taught me many valuable lessons in life - - usually not in his words, but always in his actions.  Principles like love, forgiveness, perseverance, faithfulness, and belief in myself.  I gleaned these qualities from him, and they have made me the man I am today.   My father's unfailing love has helped me achieve all my goals in life, including this book.

So thanks, Dad, thanks for choosing to love me when I had no one.  For giving me a name when I didn't have one.  For giving me a home when you didn't have to.  For giving me a life when I seemingly didn't have much of one.  For giving me the greatest title a little boy could ever ask for.  Thank you for calling me your son.  I am so grateful God handpicked you to be my father.  You empowered my life in so many ways, so that I could empower the lives of others.  I will always love you."

"A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows,
is God in his holy dwelling.
6 God sets the lonely in families,
he leads forth the prisoners with singing;
but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land."
Psalm 68:5-6

Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates
 
PS - As Father's Day draws near, would you consider one of our orphan t-shirts to celebrate your Daddy?  We are running a FATHER'S DAY SPECIAL ON THEM!  Whoo - Hoo!  Don't miss out!

No comments: