Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Bag Packed for Ghana

Braden ran into the house excited, scampering around with a mission in mind.  
“Can I have a bag, Mom?”  
“What kind of bag?”
“Umm, just a bag to pack in.”
“Well, would a plastic grocery bag work or do you need something heavier?”
“Nah.  A grocery bag will be great.”
I handed him a crumpled up Kroger bag and off he went.
A few minutes later, he reappeared - bag in hand.
Knowing this was something I needed to investigate, I peered into his bag and found:
Braden’s favorite Tennessee hat
a nice pair of shorts
one of Braden’s nicer shirts
a pair of socks
a pair of underwear
three hot wheels cars 
two lego men
and Braden’s new baseball
Confused, I stammered, “What’s this for?” 
“I wanted to pack it for Peter.  Can we pack it and take it to Ghana for him?  These are things I want him to have.”
Then Braden showed me the card he made (with no help from Mom).
My heart hurt.  Peter is an orphan in one of the homes in Ghana.  He and Braden became huge buddies when we were there. Braden has talked about him in conversation and prayed for him frequently.  Right now, Peter is still waiting for a family and spending his days in a home with about 40 other children.  Peter's smile is still imprinted on my heart.  I think Braden thinks of him as a very special friend.
I share this story because God continues to bind our hearts back to Ghana.    We are all anxious to return.  There are many children just like Peter.  We desire to go and love them with the love of Jesus.  
The Lord continues to provide the needed support we need to go do His work.  As of this evening, the Lord has provided a little over 65%.  Can you believe we were only at 30% a the beginning of December?  We are astounded by God's faithfulness of provision.  This is a HUGE amount of money in a short amount of time.
Please pray for the Lord to provide the remaining 35%.  We are ready to go.  We long to be there.  Our children are packing gift bags for their friends.  What else can I say?  Their hearts are anxious to be there as well.  
We continue to hear, “There is so much work to do...so much work to do.”  Our entire family is ready to go do it.  Please pray for the Lord to accomplish what He desires here on earth.
“As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth adn making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is My Word that goes out of My mouth.  It will not return empty but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”  Isaiah 55:10-11




No comments: