Monday, January 31, 2011

Cornrows Speak For Themselves!


What's been the response to my cornrows? Actually, it depends on where I am.

Friends at church? All loved it. At least they told me so. Dianne said I looked like a teen-ager. Knowing our connection to Africa made the braids less surprising.

Strangers in West Knoxville? The hair-do has caused me to receive many wide-eyed looks, but few comments. No compliments I remember.

My mother? She looked scared, astonished, sick and surprised all balled up together. Once I told her I planned to take it down eventually, relief flooded her pale face. (Mom? What if it had been a tattoo? Oh my!)


My dad? He burst into howling laughter when the hat came off. I was afraid he would fracture a rib he was laughing so hard.


My sisters? They both said little, but also laughed when they saw the cornrows. I suppose the cornrows speak for themselves.


However, when I walked in to Water Angels with the tight braids down my back. Well, it was like I'd won an African beauty pageant. Every dark-skinned person there told me how "good" I looked. Karen (above) told me I wore the braids better than "one of her own people." Amy (above) shared she used to wear her hair this way when she was on the street. Talking to her made me think I should adopt this style permanently!


One thing is for sure, I'm not putting things off any longer. My life is flying by. If there's something crazy I'm want to try. Well, I'm going to do it.


Now, at 41 years old, I know how cool it feels to have cornrows! It's a great feeling to wake up without needing to fix my hair! I might be cray enough to do it again sometime. Or, I could be like Jess, and give dreadlocks a try?!? Hmmmm.....what would dreads be like?


Show me, LORD, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is. Psalm 39:4




Posted by Picasa

No comments: