Saturday, January 22, 2011

Working on the Puzzle

In an address given to ministers and workers after his ninetieth birthday, George Mueller spoke thus of himself: "I was converted in November, 1825, but I only came into the full surrender of the heart four years later, in July, 1829. The love of money was gone, the love of place was gone, the love of position was gone, the love of worldly pleasures and engagements was gone. God, God alone became my portion. I found my all in Him; I wanted nothing else. And by the grace of God this has remained, and has made me a happy man, an exceedingly happy man, and it led me to care only about the things of God. I ask affectionately, my beloved brethren, have you fully surrendered the heart to God, or is there this thing or that thing with which you are taken up irrespective of God? I read a little of the Scriptures before, but preferred other books; but since that time the revelation He has made of Himself has become unspeakably blessed to me, and I can say from my heart, God is an infinitely lovely Being. Oh, be not satisfied until in your own inmost soul you can say, God is an infinitely lovely Being!'

My heart has grown so much over the past year. As I've let go of more worldly pleasures, God has replaced them with the "infinitely lovely Being" of Himself! God has used this past year to strip me of many things that previously were found to be important. So many moments of surrender. How my life was filled with things "irrespective of God."

Several days ago I began inscribing the names off our our blog onto the puzzle pieces. Each name represented someone who had done something to help us on this journey of adoption. I neatly wrote each name and remembered what the individual had done for us. Prayers of thanksgiving were lifted to God for His goodness through His people.

Young children and my 94 year old grandmother. Close friends and complete strangers. Names of people who gave generous amounts and those who gave gifts of pennies. People who gave their time to help us with fund-raising and others who gave their homes for fund-raising events. Adoptive parents who offered advice and prayer warriors who have specifically prayed. Little ones who have emptied their banks and others who have sold coke floats and cookies. And on and on...

Each name represented a part of this journey. Every person reminded me of God's faithfulness to provide all things. The Lord has revealed himself in miraculous ways over this past year as we have stepped "out of the boat" and into the water. Along the way, we've learned to swim closer to Jesus.

Today is day 359 since we mailed in our application. In seven days it will be a year since we started on the adoption path. A full year of praying, seeking, trusting, yearning, and growing. The days ahead hold more of the same. How can I not praise God during the wait?

Yes, I am more than ready to have Overcomer here with us. I long to hold him and hug him tight. I miss his sweet voice. Anticipation fills me when I think of him playing with his brothers. Tears still come and go. We are ready to travel to bring him home.

However, writing the names on these tiny puzzle pieces reminded me that God is the one molding the pieces together - not me. His timing is HIS TIMING. It's not mine. (Otherwise, Overcomer would have been with us long ago.) So, I will continue to trust Him, and praise Him until the path is cleared for us to return to bring our son home.

Overcomer's birthday is approaching in a few weeks. It's a significant day for me, so I am praying that we would be with Overcomer on his birthday. What a gift that would be! The butterflies on the puzzle above remind me to cling to HOPE!

Thank you again to everyone who has been a part of this journey. I can't wait to show Overcomer all of the people who helped bring him HOME. Can you imagine the impact this will have on him? At this point, over 800 people loved Jesus enough to step out to help provide a way for him to come into our family. WOW!

Words are inadequate to express our gratitude to everyone for their love and support. We stand continually amazed at all God has done and all He will continue to do! May we continually find our ALL in Him.


The disciples, as each one was able, decided to provide help
for the brothers and sisters living in "Ghana". (Judea)
Acts 11:29




No comments: