Friday, February 17, 2012

Helping Orphans in Africa - Perspective from Sixth Grader


Every Thursday, I have the privilege of teaching several classes at a local homeschool co-op.  English is one of my favorite classes to teach.  Occasionally, I try to weave writing assignments around forcing the students to think about challenges we face in this world.  Last November, I received this paper from Timothy Lumsdaine, a 12 year old sixth grader.  He's given me permission to post this on our blog.  I hope you are as challenged by his words as I am...

Timothy Lumsdaine         Shurley English                 Writing Assignment  
11/3/2011
What to do to Help Orphans in Africa              
            I am writing today about the place for which Mrs. Beebe has a calling. What can I do to help feed Orphans in Africa?  I could work at pulling weed’s in my neighbor’s yard to earn some money to send for this purpose.  Or, maybe I could ask others to donate and get a jar to put in the center of our family table so the family could see each other giving, and then give more. Last, I could pray every night, not just for God to give them physical food, but to give them spiritual food that could bring them to Christ.
            First, I would work really hard in my neighbor’s yard to earn some money to send to the needy in Africa. I can do this because my brothers I and have a lawn care business, And even though it is very small, the three of us get ten to fifteen dollars per hour.  There is a neighbor woman with whom the Lord has just blessed us, and we are very glad that we started this business and can grow in the Lord while talking with her.
            Next, I would put a jar in the center of the family table for our family to donate.  We have done this in the past for other things and my mother has been surprised at how generous our family is.  As we see others give, we give ourselves, and I know that my family would still be generous and share what we have.  My mother would also double the money after we were finished.
            Last and most important I would look to my King for assistance. I would ask God for help feeding those who are in need, physically and spiritually. I would ask my heavenly father for help, because a little money from working at a neighbor’s won’t feed four-point- seven million people. And one hundred dollars will not either, but the Lord who made the universe can, and I know that.  He can take breath whenever he needs.  And I know that he can feed four-point- seven million people, he does that many times per day.  I believe that God is the only one who can do this.
            I think that there are definitely many ways to help feed orphans in Africa. We as a class could do much for them, but I believe working in the neighbor’s yard, asking my family for help and asking my heavenly father for help are the three best waits we can help feed orphans in Africa, and that it is a good thing for us to do.      

Don't you love his heart?       

No comments: