Friday, January 15, 2016

Manhood - Saddened By the Current Message

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.  I Corinthians 16:13

What happened to Chivalry?  Honor?  Dedication to country?  Courage?  

Last night, I attended a meeting about financing college.  As talk about the FASFA started, one of the requirements was shared and received a surprising negative response.  The requirement is for males over the age of 18 to register for selective service - previously known as the draft.  One of the males behind me said shrewdly, “If they want me…they can find me.” 

Honestly, I tried to wrap my head around the fact that all of the people in the room were trying to figure out how to receive the MOST money from the government to pay for college.  However, the overriding tone of sentiment was people did not want to register for the draft or have their sons do so.  Wait a minute…  Let me get this straight…  People want money from the government, but would not want to defend, fight or protect our country.    If there is a possible time where people are needed to stand for the United States of America, the people in the room last night seemed to desire to prefer to run and hide.  I don’t understand this.   What happened to raising men of courage over cowards? 

I was also very aware of the number of women seated on the tile floor, while men around them sat snugly in comfortable chairs.  As one of the women on the floor, I can honestly say that I noticed.  I realized how the respect for women has changed.  When I came home, I told my husband about it.  I’m thankful to be married to a man who would still always give up his seat for a woman.  Hopefully, we have sons who would do the same.  

Raising five boys, I guess I’m overly aware of the message these things send to them.  Our prayer for the men we are raising is that they will be godly men…  that they will always be willing to stand and fight for justice and righteousness…  that they would speak for those who have no voice…  that they would love others well…  that they would give up their comfort for another…  that they would lead with servant hearts surrendered to Christ. 

In the words of Theodore Roosevelt:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.  (1910)

"...There is not a young man in this country who has fought, or an old man who has seen those dear to him fight, who does not wish to minimize the chance of future war.”  (1919)

No comments: