Friday, September 30, 2011

Prince or Pauper

Our seven year old, Braden, is in a book club.  They boys are currently reading through Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper.  The story is about two boys who trade places from poverty to kingship.  They both realize "the other life" is not what they expected.


On the way home last week trying to make conversation, I asked Braden if he felt more like a prince or more like a pauper.

After a few seconds of silence, Braden answered, "Well, I feel like a prince, but I know I'm a pauper."

A bit confused, I questioned, "Why is that, Braden?"

With the wisdom of Solomon, he answered, "Well Mom, God is the only one with riches.  He's rich in everything.  I know I am just a poor pauper...I'm nothing without him."

Out of the mouths of babes...


The LORD sends poverty and wealth; 
he humbles and he exalts. 
He raises the poor from the dust    
and lifts the needy from the ash heap; 
he seats them with princes    
and has them inherit a throne of honor.
2 Samuel 2:7-8a

No comments: